Sunday, January 18, 2009

New York City Girl is Unstoppable

This is my year. I know it. For one, there are these really famous twins –I didn’t know they were famous, but they are –who are “psychics” and they said this will be the year of Capricorns. Then I turned to El diaro, the most famous Spanish newspaper in New York (although I hear no one actually buys it or reads it, for that matter) and it said it’s Capricorns’ financial year. And finally, it’s the Year of the Ox, according to the Chinese calendar. And I was born on the Year of the Ox! Of course I started taking Mandarin lessons.

But there are other reasons to think that it’s my year:
I have a new president, who is so smart, and so sweet. And, as an added bonus, he’s also half black.
I got diamonds from Tiffany for Christmas.
My year started off with a love letter.
And I’m only in my 20s.

My friend Carol says that it’s all about how you spend the first 12 days of the year that matters. Well, it’s the 18th. I’ve partied half of the time, and planned parties the other half. Sounds like an awesome year!

Here are my resolutions:
Be more of a two year old –no past, live the present, and, uh, yeah, what’s the future?
Travel, travel, travel
Read 100 more books
Learn Chinese
Remain oh-so-me
Build my empire

As I sipped away a Jack Collins at Bookmarks, the rooftop at the Library Hotel, I couldn’t help being happy with the fact that I had just turned 23. I received my wishes from others. Make first million, publish the novel, take over the world (I overlooked the “good health” one because I have that down packed!)

All I remember is turning 18 and thinking, “Where is my life going?” Now, I think, “I’ll go wherever it takes me.” Cheers to that…

No comments: